Family Support – Children

Single Point of Entry (SPOE)

We offer support to children aged 5 – 18, who are affected by the drug or alcohol use of a parent, sibling or carer.

To access this service, which we call ‘Hidden Harm’, please call us on 0121 301 4141.

How we can help

We offer children affected by another’s substance misuse access to a structured programme designed to help them explore their feelings and develop coping strategies to keep themselves and their loved ones safe. We also put them in touch with others in a similar situation, so they can build a peer support network and know they are not alone.

One to One Sessions

Our structured programme is delivered one to one, usually in school, or in an alternative appropriate venue.


Counselling can help with gaining a deeper perspective on fears, emotions and relationships. Once these are understood they can be worked on, to support children in copying themselves and not being afraid to trust or ask other adults or services for help when they need it.

Children can talk to our expert counsellors about anything that is worrying them including:

  • Family relationships
  • Friendship breakdowns
  • Bullying
  • Bereavement
  • Self harm
  • Sexuality
  • Exam stress.
Our service is totally confidential and non-judgemental. We offer a safe space for them to talk and explore their feelings.

Activities & Groups

For children missing out on some of the parental support and life experiences other children take for granted, we offer a wide variety of activities, trips and guidance in school, after school and during the school holidays. Our service is both tailored to individual needs and designed to encourage children to mix and have fun together.

Spotting children who may need support

Do you know a child who is worried about someone else’s substance misuse?

  • Are they having problems at school, with attendance, punctuality or behaviour? At home? In the community?
  • Do they appear to be angry, unco-operative, feeling hurt, unable to cope or may experimenting with drugs or alcohol themselves?

It may be hard for a young person to talk about their fears and feelings about those they love, but it frequently helps.

What should I do if I think a young person would benefit from SIAS’ Family Support Service for Children?

  • Call us on 0121 301 4141 and speak to our Hidden Harm Practitioner.
  • Give the young person a leaflet to make them aware or our service, or direct them to our website.
  • Help the young person to book an appointment – an individual from any agency can book an appointment on behalf of a young person that has consented.

Do parents or carers need to be informed?

All meetings between a young person and SIAS staff are confidential. The only exception is when the staff member believes that the young person or others are at risk of harm. In this case the member of staff will explain to the young person why this is happening and who will be told.

Do parents or carers need to be informed?

The good news is that many of those with drug or alcohol problems eventually make a full recovery and move on. This journey may take a considerable time and there may be many setbacks on the way. As a family member or friend you are in a position to promote recovery through the way you behave and what you say. It may be helpful for you to be involved in the treatment of your family member or friend, provided that they agree to this. At the appropriate point on their road to recovery we would seek to reach an agreement between all parties on the way information could be shared between one another and how you could be involved in their recovery programme.